An undergraduate degree in Australia is commonly known as a Bachelor Degree. It can be general, specialist or double, and can be extended by an Honours year. Diplomas are a shorter undergraduate study option.
Master's Degrees and research degrees (PhDs) are postgraduate degrees. For more information, please visit postgraduate degrees.
Bachelor Degree (general)
- A bachelor degree covers a broad base of knowledge within a chosen area of study.
- Students can choose to specialise in some subjects to suit their interests.
- For example, within the general Bachelor of Commerce, students can specialise in areas such as accounting, management or marketing.
- A single degree usually takes three years, sometimes four or five depending on the area of specialisation.
Bachelor Degree (specialist)
- Specialist degrees are tightly structured and designed with specific careers in mind.
- For example, the Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging is a specialist degree. It is designed to train students for a career as a radiographer.
- Students can specialise in two areas and graduate with two qualifications at the same time. This is why it is called a double degree.
- A double degree takes less time to complete than doing two single degrees.
- Double degrees may require more hours of study, but usually only take about four years.
- For example, a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Engineering is a double degree.
- More information about double degrees.
- Diplomas are a structured set of subjects, recognised as a level of study tertiary study.
- They are not as highly rated as bachelor degrees, but take less time to complete.
- Students can study a diploma on its own, or alongside their main degree.
- This is ideal when a student is interested in an area of study outside their main degree.
- For example, a student can study a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma of Languages at the same time.
- They will graduate with two qualifications without having to do a double degree.
- A pathway diploma is a one-year bridge between school and university.
- It is a program offered by Monash College.
- Successful completion guarantees entry into second year of selected Monash University degrees.
- The Diploma of Tertiary Studies provides an entry pathway for students who may not be able to access courses at Monash.