6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
It is recommended that students will have successfully completed either VCE Mathematical Methods 1/2 or VCE Further Mathematics 3/4 or equivalent. Students without one of these may need to undertake additional private study beyond the normal workload requirements.
ENG1005, ENG1090, ENG1091, MTH1049, MTH1020, MTH1030, MTH1035 and MTH1040. Note that MTH1010 can only be completed prior to MTH1020 and MTH1030/MTH1035 or equivalent. Students who have achieved a study score of at least 25 in VCE Mathematical Methods units 3/4 (or equivalent) are not permitted to enrol in MTH1010.
Functions, domain and range, function representation; different types of functions including linear, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, polynomial and rational functions; function algebra; composition of functions; inverse of functions; transformations; modelling with functions; rates of change; introduction to differentiation and integration, including techniques and applications.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Describe the properties of elementary functions by means of tables, graphs and mathematical expressions;
- Manipulate functions using a range of methods from algebra and calculus;
- Apply functions and appropriate mathematical tools to model simple physical systems;
- Communicate mathematical arguments in written form.
Examination (3 hours): 60% (Hurdle)
Continuous assessment: 40%
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit a student must achieve at least 50% overall and at least 40% for the end-of-semester exam.
Three 1-hour lectures and one 2-hour support class per week
See also Unit timetable information