6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Enrolment for this unit is quota restricted.
Must be enrolled in a Postgraduate degree
This unit will review key leadership, management, and organisation theory and its application to healthcare settings.
It will investigate the role of the manager, leadership skills, staffing issues, performance management, career management, managing change, structuring organisations for patient care, developing strategy, change management, and project management.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Explain the application of complex management theories in the management of health care teams and organisations.
- Interpret the applicability of health care research findings to health care management practice.
- Formulate practical solutions and apply management experience to solve complex health management problems.
- Demonstrate theoretical and practical approaches to leadership within health services and the importance of clinical engagement.
- Communicate health care management solutions to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Evaluate the perspectives of health care consumers and other stakeholders in health service planning.
- 10 x Critical reflections (300 words each) (50% total) (hurdle)
- Critical appraisal (1,200 words) (20%)
- Management memorandum (1,800 words) (30%)
12 hours per week including 2 Block Days of 6 contact hours each
See also Unit timetable information