6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Eitheror , and
In this unit, students will be introduced to typical biochemical processes, from feedstock supply, reaction, separation and utilities. Treatment and storage of the feedstock/product will also be examined. The subject will focus on the operation and choice of typical equipment and processes. Safety issues and financial impact will be highlighted.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of typical symbols and terminology used in food processing industries;
- Describe upstream and downstream processes and equipment;
- Describe typical bioreactor steps employed in a bioprocess operation;
- Demonstrate understanding of simple equipment design;
- Comprehend the effect of financial and safety aspects on process design;
- Demonstrate communication and report writing skills;
- Exhibit teamwork skills.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Continuous assessment [one major assignment (oral presentation and report), one field trip report and two laboratory practical reports]: 50%
Weekly: two hours of lectures, two hours of tutorials or three hours of practical classes and eight hours of self-study
See also Unit timetable information