6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit will introduce students to fundamentals of data and computer communications method and techniques. It covers: ISO and TCP/IP layered protocols; physical layer concepts: data transmission methods, signal encoding and digital data communication techniques; data link control protocol, multiplexing methods; WAN and LAN networking fundamentals; internetworking and transport protocols.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe the underlying fundamental theories and models of transmitting data across a communication channel;
- identify and describe the concepts and theories of standard network protocols;
- describe the functions and architectures of LAN and WAN;
- evaluate several different design options and formulate a simple network design.
Semester 1: Examination (3 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Semester 2: Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study