6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Monash Online offerings are only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Data ScienceGraduate Diploma in Data Science (http://online.monash.edu/course/graduate-diploma-data-science/?Access_Code=MON-GDDS-SEO2&utm_source=seo2&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=MON-GDDS-SEO2) via Monash Online.
This unit introduces programming fundamentals and the Python language to students. The unit provides a foundational understanding of program design and implementation of algorithms to solve computational problems. Fundamental programming control structures, built in and complex data types and mechanisms for modularity will be presented in Python.
Topics covered will include basic input and output, program control structures, basic data structures and modular program structures, problem solving strategies and techniques for algorithm development, iteration and recursion.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- design, construct, test and document computer programs using Python;
- recognise the relationship between a problem description and program design;
- demonstrate how basic data structures and data types function;
- investigate different strategies for algorithm development and evaluate these to select an appropriate solution to a given problem.
For on-campus: Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Monash Online: In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours/week lectures
- Two hours/week laboratories
- Contact hours for Monash Online students:
- Two hours/week online group sessions
Online students generally do not attend lecture, tutorial and laboratory sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through resources and participating in discussions.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours per week of personal study (22 hours per week for Monash Online students) for completing lab/tutorial activities, assignments, private study and revision, and for online students, participating in discussions.
See also Unit timetable information