6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Information Technology Systems with South East University, China
This unit introduces main techniques widely used in intelligent software systems to students in the Master of Information Technology Systems course with the Network Computing major. Specifically, it focuses on the techniques in relation to network structures. Main topics covered include neural network models, supervised learning and classification, unsupervised learning and clustering, fuzzy logic, intelligent decision analysis, optimum network flow modelling, and recommender systems.
On completion of this unit, students will have a knowledge and understanding of:
- the applications of intelligent software systems;
- the principles and theoretical underpinning of intelligent software systems;
- the models and approaches to building intelligent software systems;
- the advantages and limitations of intelligent models and approaches for solving a wide range of practical problems;
- different software toolkits and development environments;
- current research trends in the field.
Examination (2 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information