6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
, , , , , , ,
This unit focuses on four of the important knowledge areas established from the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK): scope management, time management, cost management and quality management.
The unit demonstrates the technical aspects of the knowledge areas otherwise known as the triple constraints - and places the emphasis on the planning and execution of projects. The unit will demonstrate how the triangulation of these knowledge areas supports a successful project. The unit will conclude with a discussion on governance compliance and decision making techniques to provide traceable project transparency and accountability.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- critically evaluate the synchronicity between the main four knowledge areas as outlined in PMBOK - scope, time, budget and quality - in order to evaluate project performance;
- critically analyse and transform complex project management problems by using a range of project management evaluation tools, financial techniques and modern software that are involved with the four main knowledge areas;
- demonstrate expert judgment and adaptability when presented with specialised technical project management issues.
Examination (2 hours plus 30 minutes reading and noting time): 40%, In-semester assessment: 60%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information