6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Business processes must be designed to ensure that they are effective and meet customer requirements. A well-designed process will improve efficiency and deliver greater productivity. This unit will introduce students to analytical tools that can be used to model, analyse, understand and design business processes. Students will also gain hands-on experience in using simulation software as a tool for analysing business processes.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe business processes, their structures and how they fit in to the overall organisation objectives;
- use analytical tools for modelling, analysing, understanding and designing business processes;
- use simulation software as a tool for analysing business processes;
- report to and advise management on business process design and re-engineering issues.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
FIT9131 or FIT5131 or FIT9004 or FIT9017 or a least one quantitative unit such as mathematics or statistics at undergraduate level