6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
or ( plus experience with programming in R)
Monash Online offerings are only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Data ScienceGraduate Diploma in Data Science (http://online.monash.edu/course/graduate-diploma-data-science/?Access_Code=MON-GDDS-SEO2&utm_source=seo2&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=MON-GDDS-SEO2) via Monash Online.
This unit aims to provide students with the necessary analytical and data modelling skills for the roles of a data scientist or business analyst. Students will be introduced to established and contemporary Machine Learning techniques for data analysis and presentation using widely available analysis software. They will look at a number of characteristic problems/data sets and analyze them with appropriate machine learning and statistical algorithms implemented in R. Those algorithms include regression, classification, clustering and so on. The unit focuses on understanding the problems, models, the underlying modeling theory and the use of R. They will need to interpret the results and the suitability of the algorithms.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- analyse data sets with a range of statistical, graphical and machine-learning tools;
- evaluate the limitations, appropriateness and benefits of data analytics methods for given tasks;
- design solutions to real world problems with data analytics techniques;
- assess the results of an analysis;
- communicate the results of an analysis for both specific and broad audiences.
For Monash Online: In-semester assessment: 100%
On-campus: Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours/week lectures
- Two hours/week laboratories
- Contact hours for Monash Online students:
- Two hours/week online group sessions.
- Online students generally do not attend lecture, tutorial and laboratory sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through resources and participating in discussions.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours per week of personal study (22 hours per week for Monash online students) for completing lab/tutorial activities, assignments, private study and revision, and for online students, participating in discussions.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Advanced data analytics