6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is a research unit common to FIT Masters degrees. Due to the nature of IT, a wide range of Masters project types can be offered to students. Some project components are of a practical nature and may involve software development and/or experimentation, while other components are of a more theoretical nature.
On completion of the Masters thesis, students will be able to:
- design a rigorous Masters level research project and develop project proposal;
- critically review research literature, research design and reported findings;
- evaluate and select research methods and techniques of data collection and analysis appropriate to particular research designs, projects and disciplines;
- conduct ethical research;
- communicate research findings in written and oral form in research and industry settings.
This unit forms part of the sequence of units comprising the Masters Thesis in the Faculty of Information Technology.
The exit point is FIT5128 (18cpts). At the completion of the requirements for the thesis the following components of assessment will be completed:
Research Proposal: 5%; Literature Review: 10%; Interim Presentation: hurdle; Final Presentation: 5%;Thesis (normally 15,000 - 25,000 words): 80%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week. Students will be expected to hold regular meetings with supervisor(s) over the course of the semester.
See also Unit timetable information