6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Completion of 24 points of graduate units from FIT.
Entry to this unit is subject to approval of the Associate Dean Education (ADE), on the advice of the relevant Masters Program Leader. An application form is required.
This unit enables students to pursue a particular topic of research in the fields of information technology, information systems or information management. The research is done under supervision, and provides a chance for a student to pursue a topic of interest that has not been covered in other coursework units, or to build more in-depth knowledge in an area with which they already have some familiarity but desire more knowledge and expertise. Students enrolling in this unit should have the approval of the Head of School or their nominee. Assessment comprises a research paper, project report, or equivalent.
At the completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- analyse, synthesise and construct arguments from a range of published sources;
- critique and evaluate others' ideas, opinions and arguments;
- explain ideas for scrutiny to a supervisor;
- demonstrate self-reliance and time management skills in order to gain greater independence as a learner;
- demonstrate the communication skills necessary to work effectively in a close, cooperative relationship with a supervisor;
- assess the nature and demands of independent research.
Research paper, review, project report or equivalent: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week. Students are expected to hold regular meetings with supervisor(s) over the course of the semester.
See also Unit timetable information