6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
Network security is an important part of any computer network and essential knowledge for IT professionals. This unit provides fundamental network security for IT students and professionals. It covers wired and wireless communication and network security, security at different layers, computer system security, network services and applications security, basic defence systems, cryptography for network security, techniques for identifying system vulnerabilities and penetration testing.
At the successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain the fundamentals of wired and wireless network security;
- use practical skills to identify computer system vulnerabilities and carry out penetration testing;
- identify important network security components, then design and implement defence systems.
Examination (2 hours): 30%; In-semester assessment: 70%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory/tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information