This unit will introduce Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques that can be used in games development. General capabilities of AI technology, behaviours/circumstances that need to be simulated/learned/reproduced by the smart non-player characters/environments in smart games, AI techniques (such as evolutionary and neural computations) used in the development of smart games will be discussed at length. This unit will build upon previous programming skills, and provide a strong grounding for further study in this area, especially related to games engine development. The unit will examine intelligent game creation using C++.
At the completion of this unit students will have:
- an ability to select and use various Artificial Intelligence techniques to build intelligent games;
- an understanding of the general capabilities of Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies;
- an understanding of the possible opportunities where intelligence can be applied in the game development world;
- an ability to apply AI techniques in building games that challenge the players by learning/adapting to their style over time and thereby developing new strategies to take the games into the next level;
- an ability to evaluate the suitability of AI techniques in the development of various games;
- enthusiasm for the endless possibilities that AI technologies can enrich the game development world;
- motivation to develop further skills in AI techniques for games development;
- appreciation and open-mindedness that better collaborations between the game development industry and the academic AI research will open wider opportunities in the enhancements of smart games;
- skills in developing smart games using AI techniques;
- ability to design, develop and debug game applications written in C++;
- create interactive (2D and 3D) smart game environment that displays the AI techniques learnt in the unit;
- ability to engage in technical discussions on AI technologies for games.
Examination (2 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%