6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces topics in Artificial Intelligence (AI) suited to real-time simulation and computer games development. Using a practice-based and programming-led approach, the unit explores a number of fundamental concepts, techniques and algorithms that can be used to build real-time, interactive games, virtual environments and simulations. Starting with basic concepts in 2D discrete simulation, the unit progresses to continuous, 3D models, agent simulation, bio-inspired intelligence models and search algorithms. Programs are developed using the Processing environment in Java or C++.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- select, evaluate and apply AI software techniques to model simple intelligent behaviour in 2D discrete simulations and games;
- select, evaluate and apply AI software techniques to model simple intelligent behaviour in 3D continuous simulations and games;
- apply evolutionary algorithms to devise novel agents and understand their application, and that of other search algorithms, to problems requiring the search of a solution space;
- apply methods of embodied intelligence and physicality to the development of intelligent behaviour in physical artefacts;
- apply -- through practice-based learning -- design, development, execution and validation of real-time interactive software using AI techniques;
- design, develop and debug applications using the Processing and Cinder coding environments.
Examination (2 hours): 40%; In-semester assessment: 60%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour studio
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
FIT2049 or FIT2096