6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit builds upon the skills, techniques and theory introduced inFoundations of 3D and extends their research and skills in 3D character design and motion capture technologies for games and 3D animation. Students will be introduced to advanced techniques for character detailing (modelling and texturing) character animation (motion capture systems) and 3D environmental design. The theoretical and practical considerations contributing to the conceptualisation and preparation of 3D characters for animation sequences will constitute a key focus of this unit.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- research, evaluate and implement complex 3D geometry, 3D texturing and 3D animation techniques;
- design and modify 3D characters for motion capture;
- formulate and enact 3D motion capture sequences;
- devise and create 3D animated sequences featuring 3D characters and environments.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One hours lecture
- Three hours laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of lecture time in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information