6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
At least 24 points of 1st year FIT units.
This unit equips students to be effective innovators and researchers in Computer Science. It introduces students to the issues, concepts, methods and techniques associated with IT research in general, but focuses on those most commonly used for research in Computer Science. It introduces students to professional practice and research ethics, the principles of research design, research methods and techniques of data collection and analysis appropriate to Computer Science. It covers oral and written communication skills.
Skills developed and knowledge acquired from this unit will prepare students to conduct and to communicate their own research, as well as to be knowledgeable consumers of others' research.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- review and critique Computer Science research literature, research design and reported findings;
- communicate research findings, orally and in writing, in research settings;
- explain the ethical and professional issues that may arise in research;
- recognise the main research methodologies of Information Technology research generally;
- describe the most common data collection and analysis methods used in Computer Science research;
- select and justify an appropriate research methodology for tackling a specified Computer Science problem;
- explain the technical, professional and socio-economic contexts that motivate research, and the implications of research outcomes;
- plan, design and execute a simple research study.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two 2-hour workshops
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information