6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces students to the research activities occurring in the Faculty of Information Technology. It provides an opportunity to conduct a hands-on project in an area of interest to the student and to experience what it is like to be a member of a research team.
At the start of the semester the student will be assigned to one of the Faculty's research groups and assigned an academic supervisor and a project topic. Students may work individually or in groups, as determined by the supervisor of a particular topic. During the semester the student will be required to participate in research group events including seminars and presentations.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- participate as a member of a research group;
- explain how IT research is conducted;
- design, implement and critically evaluate a solution to an advanced problem in IT;
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate project outcomes both orally and in writing.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One 1-hour meeting with the project supervisor
- Additional requirements (all students):
- As directed by project supervisor, the student may be required to attend seminars and other research group meetings and activities. The remainder of the time will be spent on individual study and completion of the project.
See also Unit timetable information
Enrolment in course C3001