6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Introduction to business application tools and introduction to basic computing concepts. Principles of spreadsheets and relational databases, covering their use for the generation of business plans, reports, financial statements, etc. Both the spreadsheet and database components incorporate an introduction to programming with visual basic for applications (VBA). The database component covers principles of database design. The business application software packages used in the unit are Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- use spreadsheets to report, analyse and model organisational data;
- use relational databases to report and analyse organisational information;
- construct applications using VBA as the language for enhancing the appearance and usability of spreadsheet and database systems.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- Two hours laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of contact time in order to in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
BUS1010, CSE1720, GCO1851, MMS1401