6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit develops problem-solving skills related to two important aspects of a successful engineering career: leadership and innovation. Innovation topics adopt a systematic approach to design solutions to lead technological change in the industry. Leadership topics adopt a systematic approach to cope with challenging situations in the leadership process. The systematic approach uses practical tools to analyse the current state of the problem, recommend general solution(s) based on relevant methodology and theories, and design specific solution(s) to solve problems. These practical tools are useful for continuous improvements and development of problem solving skills for both technical and non-technical problems.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- design innovative and value-added solutions in the Malaysian context
- present new solutions using digital tools to pitch to the relevant community
- work as an effective individual and supportive team player in a team that consists of members with different personality types
- analyse situations in leadership process using practical tools and practice these tools in real life scenario.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous assessment: 70%
Examination (2 hours): 30%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a Pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours practicals or laboratory and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information