6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
How do we make the past into history? How do historical objects come to life in the museum? In this unit you will learn to think and work like a professional historian and museum curator. You'll work alongside Monash historians and curators at Melbourne Museum to research the history of a set of items in the Museums Victoria (MV collection. You'll research photos, objects, documents, oral history interviews or other sources. You'll produce an entry about a MV collection item for Collections Online - so that your research may be available for others to learn and enjoy.
On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- formulate research projects and acquire independent research skills;
- evaluate a variety of primary historical sources, and approaches and issues in their use in the production of a historical argument;
- place secondary sources in their cultural, ideological and intellectual context by showing where they fit into the current state of historical knowledge;
- critique ongoing debates about the practice of history;
- utilise online digital history resources and produce an online history of a museum collection item;
- demonstrate a critical awareness of approaches and issues in the production of history in a museum.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information