6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester A 2017 (Flexible)
- This unit is an international study programinternational study program (http://future.arts.monash.edu/learning-abroad) at Prato that requires an application to be enrolled and may incur additional cost.
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
- Bachelor of Music students must have prior approval from the unit coordinator prior to enrolment. Non-Bachelor of Music students will be required to audition, submit a folio of compositions or written work according to course requirements prior to enrolment.
- This is an Arts enrichment unitArts enrichment unit (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/arts-01.html).
This unit introduces students to the study of music in different cultural contexts. Culturally-specific approaches to performance, composition, music technology and ethnomusicology/musicology will be investigated in their environments. The focus of the unit will be a reflective approach to the integration of diverse traditions of music into individual creative and research activity. Courses are offered subject to availability and may be stream-specific.
On completion of this unit, students are able to:
- Understand key elements of a specific cultural context including unique approaches to a particular stream of music study;
- Reflect upon their own musical practices and develop insights into newly acquired cultural knowledge about music;
- Apply concepts they learned to a specific stream of music study.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement. + Additional requirements + This unit is taught intensively at Prato
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.