12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
APG5752 is limited to 25 students maximum owing to space limits at most of the media sites.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit has a domestic field tripdomestic field trip (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/currentstudents/field-trips/) component and may incur an additional cost.
The unit will involve a study tour of major media organizations, with some attention also to alternative media. Most site visits will be in Melbourne and Sydney, but may also include international travel. Students will draw on background knowledge and skills in analysis gained from other units, gaining the opportunity to test them against real world examples. The unit will have a strong element of experiential learning, through seeing the insides of media organizations and having direct contact with those who work in them. At the same time, it will encourage critical scholarly thinking.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the internal organization and culture of media organisations;
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the complex 'ecology' of a major media industries, gaining the ability to see lateral connections between different organisations;
- Demonstrate skills in direct observation of media industries, as a complement to reading and scholarship in the area;
- Demonstrate an awareness of production and audience contexts in communications and media studies;
- Have confidence in approaching and working with individuals and organisations at the cutting edge of communications and media.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement. + Additional requirements + Interstate field trip
See also Unit timetable information