12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Online)
Learn about the various approaches to research in applied linguistics. You will explore different data collection procedures, including interviewing, participant observation and questionnaire surveys. You will also investigate data description, analysis, interpretation, quantitative and qualitative research and ethical concerns relating to linguistic research.
Upon the successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of quantitative and qualitative approaches to research in applied study of language (with a particular focus on English)
- articulate research questions for the purpose of developing a thesis or project
- plan the elements of a thesis or research project, including literature review, methodology and data analysis
- identify major types of data collection, and issues associated with analysis and interpretation of data
- address ethical concerns in relation to language research.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study