This is a prestigious program of coursework and research in science for high achieving students who have completed a relevant undergraduate degree. You will undertake research methodology training and carry out an independent research project in your selected discipline, working closely with a supervisor who will provide you with individual guidance and academic counselling. The course offers a pathway to higher degree research in science. In some circumstances, candidature embracing more than one discipline may be approved.
Refer to the 'Requirements' below for the list of specialisations available.
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge and technical skills in at least one area of science
- develop, apply, integrate and generate scientific knowledge in professional contexts to analyse challenges and to develop effective solutions
- convey ideas and results effectively to diverse audiences and in a variety of formats, and present scientific work in a potentially publishable way
- work independently to undertake a scientific literature review, and to design, develop and implement a research project
- collect, organise, analyse, interpret and present data meaningfully, using mathematical and statistical tools as appropriate to the discipline of specialisation
- exercise personal, professional and social responsibility as a global citizen.
This course consists of a combination of coursework and research. In the coursework component you will develop advanced theoretical and/or technical knowledge of your discipline within science and research methodologies appropriate to your discipline. In the research component you will plan and execute a research project under the individual guidance of an academic supervisor.
This course comprises 48 points including research (24 or 36 points) and coursework (24 or 12 points).
You must complete the requirements for one of the areas of study below:
Satisfactory completion of this course may provide credit toward a Monash master's by coursework degree and will provide the preparation necessary to undertake a master's by research degree or a doctoral (PhD) degree.