6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
While this unit is concerned with the acquisition of skills to produce fonts digitally, the emphasis is on focused experimentation and the refinement of those skills. Students become familiar with the potentiality and limitations of specific font software packages and learn how to achieve high quality results. This is a highly specialised area of computer-generated typography and offers students the opportunity to be in the forefront of font development. Questions of legibility and the challenging of traditional methods of conveying messages through typography are addressed, discussed and debated.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand how to create digital fonts using specific design software;
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of type construction;
- Use a computer as an effective design tool;
- Have a greater understanding of the importance of type legibility through the design and application of digitally produced fonts;
- Digitally produce fonts with skill and focused experimentation to a professional standard;
- Consider research as a strategy to develop and initiate concept development within their practical work.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information