6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
This unit introduces students to the design process, problem solving in visual communications design; and the practicalities of producing type, image, layout and colour for Multimedia environments. Students gain the necessary skills and knowledge to produce complex integrations of those selected principles of design, which form a solid basis to support the design of visual communications for Multimedia/New Media. Students also gain a visual and aesthetic understanding necessary to critically evaluate and analyse the design of multimedia products.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should:
- Understand the fundamentals of the visual language of Multimedia/New Media design;
- Understand the design process and the role of visual design within Multimedia/New Media product development;
- Understand the application of design elements and principles within Multimedia/New Media design;
- Work with type and image, creating a hierarchy;
- Create design structures, grids, layout and composition;
- Understand and apply fundamental concepts of time and motion within Multimedia/New Media design;
- Effectively communicate design critique and evaluation of Multimedia/New Media products; and
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
Major projects (70%)
Minor projects (30%)
12 hours per week including a 1-hour lecture and 3 studio hours, and 8 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information