6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit focuses on the history of planning in Australia and internationally, and on theories in relation to urban development and planning processes. Students gain research and critical capacities for comprehending and applying theories to the urban realm and an awareness of the associated effects on and of urban planning and design programs.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the historical foundations and major periods of urban planning from the 19th century to today;
- Identify and describe the key paradigms that define urban planning theory;
- Develop critical thinking skills that inform professional practice;
- Effectively communicate using oral, written, and graphic communication skills;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information