6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Admission to MMM and MMDes courses
This unit introduces and provides an opportunity for critical appraisal of a range of issues which multimedia practitioners are likely to encounter in professional life. The business and development environment raises concerns about intellectual property and copyright; as well as about privacy and protection of personal, client and employer information. The computerised work environment raises concerns about risk in terms of operator health and reliability of both hardware and software. There are social, individual identify, and communication issues related to Internet and Cyberspace.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand the range of benefits and problems of multimedia;
- Apply a high level of professional and ethical practice in their employment;
- Understand intellectual property issues as they relate to developers and employers;
- Determine whether cultural and social issues will impact on particular multimedia developments;
- Demonstrate an understanding of issues of access, equity, censorship, and computer addiction;
- Critically appraise Government and commissioned position papers, and be able to contribute to the discourse on multimedia development.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 2 contact hours plus 10 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information