6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (Online)
Master of Advanced Medical Imaging Practice (Course Code M60014): OR
Master of Specialist Paramedic Practice (Course Code M6015): OR
Master of Emergency Health (Course Code 3878)
The unit is designed for health professionals who seek to broaden their clinical knowledge and develop skills in the analysis of x-ray images. It will facilitate skill development through a focus upon the application of a methodical approach to image analysis and interpretation.
The unit will examine the psychophysics underpinning visual perception and the phenomenon of pattern recognition to reduce interpretation error.
It will enable students to distinguish between the appearances of normal anatomy, normal variants, the growing bone and the mature skeleton on x-ray images.
The unit will also address clinical decision-making processes, examine the role of x-ray imaging referrals in x-ray interpretation and methods used to communicate observations to the broader health care team.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Apply a systematic approach to the evaluation of x-ray images.
- Reduce interpretation errors through an understanding of the psychophysics of visual perception and the phenomenon of pattern recognition.
- Distinguish between sensitivity, specificity, accuracy and interpretation error when evaluating x-ray images.
- Identify normal radiographic anatomy and normal variants and apply this knowledge to x-ray images of the musculoskeletal system, chest and abdomen.
- Critically evaluate the quality of x-ray images to ensure diagnostic accuracy.
- Implement appropriate interprofessional communication strategies when determining x-ray findings.
Students enrolled in this unit must be employed in a clinical or academic position with access to medical imaging.
- 2 x-ray image analysis and recognition online examinations using Respondus lock down browser (60 minutes each) (25% each) (3000 words)
- 1 iSAP x-ray image interpretation case report (1500 words) (25%) Hurdle
- 1 end of semester online examination using Respondus lock down browser (Scenario-based short answer questions and MCQs) (90 minutes) (25%) (1500 words) Hurdle
Off-campus: 12 hours per week for 12 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Radiography and medical imaging