0 points, SCA Band 2, 0.000 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
(, , and ) OR (OCC2011 and )
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours) must complete fieldwork placements to satisfy the professional requirements that a sufficient period of supervised practice be completed prior to graduation and application for registration issued by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. This 6 week fieldwork placement unit plays an important part in consolidating student application of professional knowledge, attitudes and skills.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Take responsibility for own attitudes and behaviour, as demonstrated by acknowledging prejudices, limitations, and lack of knowledge, and commitment to change and growth as a result of professional development, and reflective learning.
- Demonstrate skills in self-assessment and be able to act on feedback received, as well as provide constructive feedback to others in a practice situation.
- Apply to practice the occupational therapy theories on the relationship between the person, the environment (physical, social, institutional and cultural) and occupation as the basis for occupational therapy practice.
- Synthesise the complex interacting factors that contribute to notions of culture and cultural relationships, health and illness and multicultural diversity to professional practice and citizenship.
- Describe, critique and apply best evidence available for occupational therapy individual and group intervention strategies, methods and modalities used with clients of occupational therapy presenting with occupational performance challenges.
- Demonstrate integrated professional reasoning (involving the threshold concepts of purposeful and meaningful occupation, client-centred/family centred practice, occupational therapy theory and practice, identity as an occupational therapist, and thinking critically, reasoning and reflecting) in the development and implementation of occupationally relevant intervention strategies.
- Write relevant, concise and comprehensive reports and substantiate both written and oral reports with information from assessments, observations and interviews.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with clients and all staff, including other members of the team, and be able to refer appropriately to optimise client health care.
- Maintain the legal, ethical and professional standards and emergency procedures set by the facility, Monash University and OT Australia code of ethics.
Clinical placement: 6 weeks.
- Satisfactory completion and submission of signed time sheet from 6 week (or equivalent hours) fieldwork placement.
- Completion and submission of the Student Review of Placement form.
- Satisfactory completion of the fieldwork component as assessed through the Student Placement Evaluation Form Revised (SPEF-R).
- Completion and submission of the learning contract.
- Completion and submission of the reflective statement.
6 weeks of clinical placement.
See also Unit timetable information