12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (Flexible)
Must be enrolled in a Postgraduate degree
This unit examines the concepts of management and leadership as applied to the conduct of professional nursing practice. The content is delivered in four modules. The first module examines key professional and organisational structures that govern the scope and practice of nursing work in particular nursing contexts. The uses and roles of policy (development, utilisation and compliance) in assisting governance will be studied. In the second module, contemporary methods for the organisation of work in nursing environments will be examined including human resources management. These also will be considered in relation to industry and technology reforms; political, business and social agendas; and developmental strategies. The third module examines principles and models for strategic planning and operational interventions for the management and development of nursing services and work. The fourth module examines the role of interdisciplinary engagement and activities in relation to nursing leadership and management strategies.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Examine leadership and management responsibilities and outcomes associated with the organisation of professional nursing practice;
- Critique contemporary methods of organising professional nursing work in a range of practice contexts;
- Apply principles of human resource management to a nursing / midwifery practice setting to achieve the required skill mix;
- Describe professional and workplace governance structures that have been proven to be successful in particular nursing / midwifery workplace contexts;
- Identify drivers for change (e.g. industry and technology reforms; political, business and social agendas) and proactively lead nursing responses to changing and dynamic environments;
- Critique commonly used strategies for strategic planning and operational implementation in particular nursing / midwifery workplace contexts;
- Recommend techniques related to enhancing interdisciplinary engagement that can be used in nursing / midwifery leadership and management situations;
- Develop a 'fit for purpose' policy to address an identified problem in nursing / midwifery practice requiring use of leadership and management strategies;
- Evaluate the implementation of a specific management and leadership strategy in the conduct of nursing work.
- Written assignment 1 (3,500 - 4,000 words) (40%)
- Written assignment 2 (3,500 - 4,000 words) (40%)
- Multimedia presentation (20 minutes) (20%)
Flexible: 4 hours per week lectures, tutorials and workshops; 20 hours per week self-directed learning (directed and self-directed reading).
See also Unit timetable information