6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Teaching Period 1 2019 (Online)
Must be enrolled in course 4528, 4529, M6007 or M6021
This Unit will review key leadership, management, and organisation theory and its application to healthcare settings.
It will investigate the role of the manager, leadership skills, staffing issues, clinician engagement, performance management, career management, and managing change, structuring organisations for patient care, developing strategy, consumer engagement, change management, and project management."
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply general theories of organisation and management to health care organisational settings
- Design organisational roles and structures to manage clinical and support services
- Apply coordinating mechanisms in clinical and public health organisations
- Implement staff recruitment processes
- Design and manage staff performance systems
- Apply principles of change management to improve organisational performance
- Develop strategic plans
- Implement effective project management.
- Critical reflections (40%) (2400 words) (Hurdle)
- Critical appraisal (20%) (1200 words)
- Report (40%) (2400 words) (Hurdle)
Off-campus: 20 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information