6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit will critically evaluate the dynamic nature of strategy making and strategic leadership. Students will become familiar with key strategic concepts and frameworks to analyse organisational strategy, and understand the importance of strategic thinking in leadership development. Students will learn the principles of analysing industry dynamics and strategic responses to competitive challenges in order to improve organisational performance. Using the understanding of strategy and leadership principles students will learn to develop strategic leader competence while assessing the impact of culture and gender on leadership style and advancement. Students will also appreciate that strategy making and organisational leadership are not top down processes, they are both top down and bottom up.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- critically analyse the strategic nature of organisational leadership
- develop an understanding of strategy and leadership as dynamic processes
- analyse the role of strategic decisions in a range of contexts and understand approaches to addressing strategic decision-making challenges
- develop creative solutions to challenges associated with industry dynamics when responding to competitive challenges, and improving organisational performance.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information