6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
12 engineering credit points at level 1
A systematic method of capturing design requirements, tools for ideation, estimation and decision-making. Primary and secondary manufacturing processes, assembly techniques. Engineering graphics for problem-solving, manufacturing communication and ideation. Report writing, teamwork in solving design problems involving the integration of mechanical elements in prototype conception, construction and testing.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Apply engineering design techniques to solve engineering problems.
- Construct engineering technical drawings by hand or using CAD, to communicate concepts, detail designs, assemblies and manufacturing intent.
- Design a prototype device and validate its real-world performance to comply with safety and specific rules.
- Manage a complex engineering project within the limitations of cost, human factors, sustainability and rules or standards compliance.
- Interpret the technical issues and performance of prototype device built.
Continuous assessment: 70%
Final Examination (3 hours): 30%
2 hours lectures and 3 hours laboratory/tutorial classes and 7 hours of private study a week
See also Unit timetable information