12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
Enrolment in Master of Design (by coursework)
, , ,
This unit introduces students to the relevant technical processes that will be drawn upon in subsequent and concurrent studio units within the Master of Design. It includes digital and physical fabrication for design outcomes relative to the nominated studio specialisations of Interaction Design, Multimedia Design and Collaborative Design. The unit focuses on the technical and practical capabilities required for the creation of design prototypes. Students will be introduced to the interdisciplinary nature of design technologies and equipped with fundamental design skills and methods through project work and a series of hands-on exercises. Students develop a repertoire of knowledge through the exploration of the concepts, methodology and vocabulary for production, publishing, presentation and prototyping techniques relative to their studio specialisation.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically reflect on the historical contexts and development of various technologies from technological, socio-cultural and design practice perspectives;
- Demonstrate fundamental design technology skills to create, capture, manipulate and edit images, shape and form;
- Use fundamental design and technology skills to communicate ideas;
- Integrate a range of design skill sets and technologies as a process to produce, publish or fabricate prototypes;
- Analyse and evaluate processes and technologies used in design creation and production;
- Present and visualise design concepts, and;
- Inderstand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% in-semester assessment
24 hours per week including 8 contact hours plus 16 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information