12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Admission to Master of Design (by coursework)
The first of a three part design project. In most cases the project is to be determined by the students at the start of the semester with their lecturer. The outcomes will vary depending upon the objectives established by the students and staff. The unit gives a chance to research issues, undertake designs that will lead to the development of these ideas in the Design Projects. Students should be concerned with developing their design philosophy, the way in which it responds to social needs and its visual and social expression as a preliminary to its development in the project. The contemporary discourse in design and related theory is discussed.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Demonstrate a capability to research and explore the full range of issues to be considered in a design project;
- Be able to practice design to a high standard of professional competency;
- Be able to relate their work to contemporary discourse and seek to extend its boundaries through their design work;
- Be able to defend their chosen direction in the project against informed criticism;
- Have a base of knowledge, understanding and capability necessary to undertake their project;
- Be capable of organising, developing and planning methodologies associated with the project which will help to successfully determine a viable outcome.
100% in-semester assessment
Students will be assigned a project supervisor and meet on a weekly basis. Group seminars will be arranged and occur at least 4 times throughout the semester. A nominal 24 hours per week of independent study time for library research, preparation for assigned projects and personal study is expected.
See also Unit timetable information