6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
and have completed 96 credit points
This unit will explain why aircraft structures/components fail, how engineers can learn from such failure and design to prevent it. Both fundamental and applied aspects of failure of aircraft structural components will be covered. The unit will detail the damage tolerance design philosophy, and how it fits into airworthiness requirements as described in the relevant Standard (JSSG 2006). The unit focuses on how fracture mechanics principles and modern fatigue crack growth laws are used to meet JSSG2006. To illustrate the effect of cracking on service aircraft we will consider flaw growth in a range of aircraft undergoing both in-service flight loading and full scale fatigue tests.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Apply principles of fracture mechanics to ensure the safety of aircraft structural components.
- Use modern fatigue crack growth theories and apply them to ensure the continued airworthiness of aircraft structural components.
- Address the way in which damage tolerant design fits into JSSG 2006.
- Formulate solutions to problems associated with the residual strength of cracked aircraft structural members.
- Analyse crack growth in aircraft structural members.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous assessment: 50%
Final Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours practical classes or laboratories and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information