6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit introduces students to designing products for specific purposes at a more advanced level, and builds on knowledge gained in the previous semester. Presentation skills are further developed with the execution of detailed models of product designs, and the use of computer skills for engineering drawing. Emphasis is placed on design methodologies, ergonomics, documentation for manufacture, the sourcing of relevant product data, researching techniques and user analyses.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Produce original designs to a high standard of technical, production, and aesthetic requirements, which successfully resolve product semantic issues;
- Undertake value analysis studies of existing products;
- Prepare product design specifications;
- Demonstrate at an advanced level, skills, and abilities in the documentation of designs for production;
- Conceptualise, design and develop for specific market criteria;
- Produce detailed models for presentation purposes;
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information