6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit covers the fundamentals of mechanics as applied to consumer products including loads and forces in structures both solid and dynamic. The unit also includes the fundamentals of electronics in product design such as circuit analysis, electrical and magnetic fields, passive and active devices, voltage levels and frequency ranges, safety and regulations as used in a variety of consumer products.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Have an understanding of the application of electrical and mechanical systems for contemporary products;
- Have a basic working knowledge of electricity and mechanics;
- Experience applying electrical and or mechanical principles in product design projects;
- Understand and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the industrial design studio.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information