6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
This unit serves as an introduction to the field of consumer product design. Teaching centres on the design of electrical appliances, with emphasis on production issues, value analysis, ergonomics, materials selection, and documentation for manufacture. Consumer appeal and market factors will also be taken into account.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Design products to a high standard of technical and aesthetic performance;
- Apply product analysis techniques to existing products and learn to develop them for new products;
- Locate and apply information on materials and manufacturing processes;
- Carry out design projects for the consumer product field, which incorporate electromechanical components and devices;
- Understand and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the industrial design studio.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information