12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Any FNA, VIS or VPR level 3 unit
This unit is the fifth in the Contemporary Practices sequence. In this unit emphasis is placed on independent investigation, and the development of the creative and expressive potential inherent in students' work. Imagination combined with advanced conceptualisation and innovation in material manipulation should be manifest at this stage of students' practice. Whilst providing a stimulating and supportive environment this unit provides a bridge between students' experience in the supervised studio and a fully-fledged independent professional practice in the broader arts arena.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Be strongly self-motivated, and able to construct a program of work with a coherent direction which imaginatively addresses their own concerns;
- Be able to produce outcomes that display conviction, confidence and control in concepts and materials, and be able to isolate areas of their own work that require further research and sustain a directed inquiry into these;
- Understand how to apply existing materials and technologies in new contexts and interdisciplinary language;
- Deepen their understanding of current issues in fine art and recognise the potential to produce works within the framework of contemporary culture;
- Be able to position and contextualise the evaluations of their work and that of other students within the historical and contemporary context and express these observations through a mode of outcomes, and;
- Have an increased understanding and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the studio, and are able to collaborate and co-operate safely within the studio environment with observance of the OHS&E regulations and policies of the studio.
100% in-semester assessment
24 hours per week including 8 contact hours plus 16 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information