6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
One of, , , or FIT1002 or (FIT1040 AND a second level programming unit - one of , FIT1035, FIT2029, , FIT2071, FIT2076, or equivalent)
This unit focuses on the design, development and deployment of mobile apps for iOS using the Swift programming language. Students will learn best practices for iOS development using native frameworks and common design patterns. The unit will explore areas such as mobile UI design, data storage, web services and networking, mobile sensors, use of media, and mobile interface testing. The unit will emphasise hands-on, practical experience with the Xcode development environment and iOS simulator. Students will design and build their own app.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe the feasibility and technical challenges of creating iOS apps using UIKit and associated technologies;
- analyse mobile interface guidelines and technical constraints to design effective navigation and user interfaces for mobile apps;
- apply common object-oriented design patterns such as Model-View-Controller and Delegation; and
- follow iOS best practices to design, construct and test non-trivial iOS apps with a web service component.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hour workshop
- Three hour studio
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 7 hours of personal study in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information