6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
or or equivalent.
Topics include business modelling with spreadsheets and R programming language; the methodology of business modelling and analytics; linear programming; primal and dual models; integer programming; transportation; and assignment problems.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand analytical and algorithmic optimisations applied to real-life business cases
- use algebraic formulations and spreadsheets side-by-side to help develop the conceptual skills
- formulate, solve and interpret business problems with linear programming using graphical methods, Excel Solver, and R program
- implement and analyse duality, sensitivity, transportation, assignment problems, and integer programming.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information