6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (Online)
This unit explores a range of pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning in the arts and design, and critically examines current theoretical perspectives in the arts and design education research. Students develop their competencies and involvement in a range of art forms, such as visual art, music, dance, drama, media and literature, and in doing so gain an understanding of the content, processes and skills as they relate to children's development and learning. The unit involves planning for and implementation of a range of arts and design learning experiences for children. It focuses on the integration of arts and design across the curriculum, and nurturing student creativity and critical thinking skills. Students develop their self-efficacy as teachers of the arts and their understanding of social justice perspectives in arts and design education.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate critical understanding of recent trends and curriculum in arts and design education within Australia and internationally
- plan and implement learning experiences that focus on the arts and design which cater for children of diverse backgrounds and abilities and which model a range of effective and inclusive teaching strategies
- develop units of work that include a focus on integrating the arts and design across the curriculum including demonstrating connections between the arts, design, literacies and information and communication technologies (ICTs)
- explore and develop their own arts and design skills and pedagogical practices in the arts and design
- identify, evaluate and interpret a range of relevant curriculum documents and resources for teaching the arts and design
- apply a variety of assessment approaches in the arts and design.
Art and design inquiry project (2000 words, 50%)
Arts and design unit of work (2000 words, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- equivalent to 24 hours engagement in online, face-to-face or blended platforms
- Contact hours for off-campus students:
- equivalent to 24 hours engagement in online or blended platforms
- Additional requirements (all students)
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information