6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit explores the role and nature of English and literature education in primary settings. The unit prepares students to assess, plan and implement English and literacy learning to enhance children's oral language, reading, writing and visual literacies. In this context, a range of information and communication technologies are examined for their capacity to extend literacy learning among student participants and within primary classrooms. Through this unit, students strengthen their personal literacies and capacities for communication as members of the teaching profession.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- identify and critically examine a range of theoretical perspectives on literacies, and English and literacy learning in the primary years
- develop the ability to assess, plan and implement effective and inclusive English and literacy learning experiences for primary school children which reflect the complex nature of English and literacy teaching and learning in an increasingly diverse social and cultural world influenced by technological and social change
- understand how to assess, plan and implement literacy learning experiences that develop students' reading, writing, visual and oral literacy skills
- become competent in their personal literacies, including a range of information and communication technologies.
Theoretical critique on literacy learning (2000 words, 50%)
Literacy planning resource (2000 words, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- equivalent to 24 hours engagement in online, face-to-face or blended platforms
- Contact hours for off-campus students:
- equivalent to 24 hours engagement in online or blended platforms
- Additional requirements (all students)
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information