6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit develops students' understanding of arts education in the primary years in relation to Victorian and Australian curriculum. Specifically, it explores arts education with a focus on music, media, visual arts, dance and drama in the primary years. Students are encouraged to develop their competencies as teachers, artists and researchers in the arts. A focal point of the unit is on nurturing student creativity and critical thinking skills. The unit embraces arts education pedagogy that draws on the perspectives of the generalist primary school teacher, specialist arts teachers and children.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of effective planning and teaching of the arts for primary school children of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- develop units of work in the arts that include a focus on integrating the arts across the curriculum and assessment in the arts
- explore and develop their own arts skills and creative pedagogical practices in the arts
- identify, evaluate and interpret a range of relevant curriculum documents and resources for teaching the arts
- demonstrate an understanding of the connections between the arts, sustainability, health and wellbeing, interculturality, information and communication technologies (ICTs), and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Research project (can include individual and/or group work) (2000 words or equivalent per student, 50%)
Integrated unit of work (can include individual and/or group work) (2000 words or equivalent per student, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 24 hours per semester
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information