6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
, , .
This unit considers market structures, conduct and performance from the business perspective; economic policy as it affects business, particularly in relation to its dealings with consumers; the variety of approaches to competition and regulation policies from the international perspective; analysis of policies with respect to prices, monopolies, oligopolies and mergers, exclusive dealing, consumer protection and licensing, deregulation and privatisation.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the concepts used in the economic analysis of business and the policy framework within which business operates
- understand performance, structure and behaviour of different businesses in any market
- apply models of behaviour to specific cases
- analyse different structures of businesses in detail, identifying major policies which might affect their performance and conduct.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information