12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Admission to Bachelor of Design (Honours)
This unit is the first part of a major design project. It provides an opportunity to research issues, undertake conceptual designs and develop refinements on the basis of the advanced attainment achieved at the end of the Bachelor of Design course. In most instances the project is proposed by the student at the beginning of the semester in consultation with the lecturer, and approved by the lecturer and course coordinator.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a capability to research and explore the full range of issues to be considered in a design project;
- Practice design to a high standard of professional competency;
- Relate their work to contemporary discourse and seek to extend its boundaries through their design work;
- Defend their chosen direction in the major project against informed criticism;
- Demonstrate a base of sound knowledge, understanding and capability to undertake their major project;
- Demonstrate they are capable of organising, developing and planning methodologies associated with the major project which will help to successfully determine a viable outcome.
Mid-semester portfolio (20%)
Final portfolio (80%)
24 hours per week including 6 studio hours and 18 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information