6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Must be enrolled in Bachelor of Media Communication.
This unit is a core unit for the Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (https://www.monash.edu/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html).
The Media Analytics Lab is a multi-disciplinary learning environment where students from the different specialisations in the Bachelor of Media Communication come together to explore new concepts, skills and practices in media analytics such as infographics, data journalism, data mining, digital ethnography, and audience research. Students will devise an analytics research project that can test the capabilities of new technologies and explore applications. The lab fosters creativity and experimentation in media production while also developing professional skills in collaboration and adaptability.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify and discuss the communicative and creative role of media analytics in contemporary media environments and business contexts;
- display proficiency in a variety of media analytical skills and practices;
- work reflectively, independently and collaboratively with peers to conceptualise and design a media analytics project;
- apply skills to a media production/project that critically reflects on the evolving technologies and practices of media analytics.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html)