6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Delivered in conjunction with. Explores materials, component systems, products and fabrication systems as they apply to building construction. This includes the study of materials in terms of their physical and chemical properties, environmental sustainability and impact, and involves physical testing and assessment of materials and their application in architecture.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand the basic use and properties of materials and fabrication techniques as they apply to architectural design;
- Be familiar with historic and contemporary development of construction materials, component systems and fabrication techniques;
- Understand basic physical and structural principles as they pertain to different materials;
- Understand issues of environmental sustainability in relation to materials selection and design;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours plus 8 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information